Buckwheat Groats Recipe
Buckwheat is one healthy carb source and a true superfood. In spite of the name, it isn't wheat. It's a fruit seed. It's gluten-free and has a low-glycemic index. Along with phytonutrients and other good stuff, buckwheat contains chiro-inositol which helps with glucose metabolism and cell signaling.
It appears to be better than oatmeal or wheat cereals when it comes to heart health and reducing "bad" cholesterol, plus it has anti-inflammatory properties. Since buckwheat grows very quickly, very little (if any) pesticides have to be used. Bonus: While you don't really eat buckwheat for protein, the protein it does have contains all eight essential amino acids.
The nutritional and health benefits of buckwheat are on par with those of quinoa. Just like quinoa, buckwheat is a grain-like seed and is a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, antioxidants and many other essential nutrients.
Buckwheat is the perfect food whether you are trying to restore gut health, heal Candida, or just get a good morning protein source without the carbohydrates. Buckwheat groats are not a cereal grain and do not have the liabilities of causing high cholesterol, sugar imbalances, or weight gain.
Breakfast Groat Recipe
This simple breakfast is very satisfying, it takes just minutes to prepare and there is no need to cook the buckwheat unless you want a creamier texture.
2 cups raw Buckwheat Groats, (note: this is not the same as Kasha) soaked in water overnight
1 ¼ cups almond milk
2 tbsp golden flax or chia seeds (optional)
Pinch of sea salt (or Kosher)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Place raw organic buckwheat groats and 4 cups of water in a bowl. Soak overnight. After soaking, rinse well in a strainer several times.
2. Place the rinsed buckwheat groats and almond milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer for 8-12 minutes until tender.
3. Pour the cooked groats into food processor or blender, along with the almond milk, flax or chia seeds, salt and vanilla. Process until combined and slightly smooth.
4. Add in the cinnamon to taste.
5. Scoop into four bowls or parfait glasses and add your desired toppings & mix-ins.
6. Serve immediately but leftovers will store refrigerated for a few days.